Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: from minidisc to computer

  1. #1
    Inactive Member jefury's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 31st, 2001
    Posts
    114
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I dunno what I'm doing wrong.

    I'm testing my minidisc player with a mono microphone. I also set the recording mode to mono.

    It sounds great, but I can't transfer it onto the computer? The format of the recording is ATRAC. I'm not sure it that's the case, and I'm not sure how to change the format. The minidisc (Sony Net MD) came with the softare OpenMG Jukebox.

    Would anyone know what the problem could be?

    Thanks

    Jeffery

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Scotness's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2002
    Posts
    57
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't knop about doing the straight digital transfer all I did was plug a lead from the headphone socket to the soundcard input and re-record it with Cool Edit. Of course there's some kind of loss but I'm blowed if I could hear it! It sounded fine to me - I'm sure someone could quote what the loss is - but do you really notice it? I don't think so -- why don't you try that?

    Scot

  3. #3
    Inactive Member jefury's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 31st, 2001
    Posts
    114
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey thanks!

    Yah, I just about freaked when I couldn't get it to worked.

    But I hope this method does, thanks!

    Jeffery

  4. #4
    Inactive Member mattias's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 1999
    Posts
    335
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    there shouldn't be any real loss if you use line level (headphones at max volume) to re-record the audio. that's after all what people have always been doing. we're way too concerned about generation loss these days. i'm finishing on a 16mm short right now that we edited on a steenbeck, and the sound guy refuses to use the fullcoat for the mix. we don't have any numbers on the fullcoat, so he has to sync up all the takes on dat by hand, matching the fullcoat audio and/or the lip sync. i try to tell him that 90% of all movies he's ever seen probably used fullcoat audio but he won't listen, since he's so concerned about generation loss and using "analog" equipment... ;-)

    /matt

  5. #5
    Inactive Member MovieStuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2001
    Posts
    847
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by mattias:
    we're way too concerned about generation loss these days. </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Ain't that the truth, Mattias?

    I lurk through a variety of other discussion groups and I find it humorous that the same guys absolutely obsessed with digital perfection in their audio that won't even consider using analog, even in the field for voice only, are then matching it up to Super 8. I mean, don't get me wrong. I think Super 8 is terrific. But it's obvious that their same obsession for quality doesn't extend to the visual. In fact the discussions generally go something like this:

    8mm audio fanatic #1:
    I finished my script last night for my feature and will start shooting tomorrow morning. Should I use 42 or 44 for my sampling rate? I want this movie to really kick.

    8mm audio fanatic #2:
    Oh, please. You have to ask? Anything below 44 just isn't serious audio. BTW, I'm also starting my film this week. Can anyone tell me the color temperature of those worklights they have at Home Depot? I figured if I got about three or four, that would be enough to light the gymnasium we're shooting in. They sort of look the same as the sodium vapor lights on the ceiling. I figured between the two, should look neat.

    8mm audio fanatic #3:
    Just shoot at 18fps with the lens opened all the way. If you use the pro8mm 800 neg everything should be fine.

    8mm audio fanatic #4:
    You've tried the 800 stock?

    8mm audio fanatic #3:
    Not yet, but we'll be shooting about 30 rolls of it this weekend. Got about 100 of my friends showing up for the big shoot. I hear the 800 will look just terrific. I'll be shooting with my Sears Automat-18 and recording to DAT with two shot gun mics mixed through a portable Tascam digital board. Should be sweet. Say, does anyone know if the filter should be in or out of the camera when I use the 800 stock?

    8mm audio fanatic #1: Beats me.

    8mm audio fanatic #2: I Dunno.

    8mm audio fanatic #4: What's a filter?

    [img]wink.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 26, 2002 10:40 AM: Message edited by: MovieStuff ]</font>

  6. #6
    TA152
    Guest TA152's Avatar

    Post

    Agree with your postings.

    It is really interesting that (almost) no one recognizes the superior "resolution" of (high-end) analog sound recordings anymore, particular in the 500Hz to 4kHz range.

    Digital (pure audio) gear has superior S/N ratio, (kind of) superior dynamic range and (close to) lossless copying/editing which makes it a delight to work with of course.

    An analog transfer on the way from MD to a computer will definitely not make any significant drop in audio quality for S8.

    R

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •